The Washington State Transportation Commission (WSTC) is preparing to make toll rate changes for the SR 99 tunnel. Key information is provided below on what the WSTC is considering and why, what the next steps and schedule is, and how you can provide comments and get involved.
What’s happening with toll rates on the SR 99 tunnel?
The pandemic has resulted in a significant decline in traffic and toll revenue for the SR 99 tunnel. The Legislature has provided funding to partially address the revenue shortfalls. However, while forecasts indicate traffic volumes will improve, they are expected to remain at lower levels than was projected pre-pandemic. In addition, SR 99 tunnel toll rates are now required by the Legislature to address additional financial requirements than initially anticipated. Because of this, a toll rate increase is needed in 2021.
Toll Rate Proposal
The WSTC is proposing the following toll rate increase for the SR 99 Tunnel, effective October 1, 2021:
Option 1 – Effective October 1, 2021:
- Across the board 15% toll rate increase applied to all rates for all times of day. This results in rate increases between 15 cents to 35 cents.
- View Detailed Rate Changes
- View proposed regulatory amendments to implement this proposal
NOTE: The proposal assumes an additional 3% toll rate increase starting on July 1, 2022 and occurring every three years after that.
How to provide comments
The WSTC is currently gathering public input on its toll rate change proposal as indicated above. If you would like to comment, you can do so by using the Feedback Form, or you can email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Input will be gathered through Monday, August 16, 2021.
Sign-Up to testify at the August 24th Final Hearing
The WSTC will hold its final hearing on August 24th at 10 a.m. where it is expected they will vote to adopt toll rate changes, effective October 1, 2021.
If you would like to testify at the hearing, you will need to register for the hearing and sign-up to testify.
What is the schedule for the 2021 toll rate setting process?
The process and schedule is outlined below, with new toll rates anticipated to be in effect beginning October 1, 2021.
- June 25 – July 14: Public input is gathered on the WSTC’s selected toll rate options
- July 20: After considering public input, the WSTC issues formal proposed toll rates for further public comment through mid-August
- August 24: The WSTC holds a public hearing to adopt final toll rates.
- October 1, 2021: New toll rates take effect