Public can vote on preferred options via online forum
Transportation Commission Office – PO Box 47308 – Olympia, WA 98504-7308 – 360-705-7070
Contact: Reema Griffith, WSTC executive director, 360-705-7070 (Olympia)
OLYMPIA – The Washington State Transportation Commission is in the process of lowering the toll rates on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge by an estimated 75 cents, made possible by additional funding provided by the state Legislature. The commission is seeking public comment on the rate reduction options that are under consideration.
The public can vote on three possible options and provide comments via the commission’s online public forum through Thursday, June 30. All input will be shared with the commission at the July 19 and 20 virtual meeting, when commissioners will select the proposed rate reduction approach and will subsequently seek further public comment. The final hearing on this topic will take place in August.
The three toll rate reduction options the commission is seeking public input on are:
- Option 1: Flat 75 cent toll rate reduction for 2-axle vehicles only (i.e., passenger cars, delivery trucks, etc.)
- Option 2: Flat 75 cent toll rate reduction for all vehicles (i.e., 2-axle vehicles, and 3+ axle vehicles such as semi-trucks and vehicles towing a trailer)
- Option 3: Flat 75 cent toll rate reduction for 2-axle vehicles, with a per axle multiplier applied for vehicles with 3+ axles (results in a toll rate reduction ranging from $1.15 for 3-axle vehicles to $2.25 for 6+ axle vehicles)
The schedule for the commission’s toll rate reduction process is:
- June 13-30: Gather public input via the online public forum
- July 19-20 commission meeting: Review public input and select toll rate reduction proposal for further public review and comment
- Late August: Final hearing on toll rate reduction, date still to be determined
- Oct. 1: New reduced toll rates take effect
In addition to providing comment via the online forum, public comment can also be offered in the following ways:
- Email the commission at: email@example.com
- Provide feedback via the commission’s online comment form
- Call the commission office at: 360-705-7070
- Testify at the commission’s hearing in late August
Substitute Senate Bill 5488, passed by the state Legislature earlier this year, provides funding for toll rate reductions and directs the commission to adjust toll rates on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge accordingly. While the commission raised the bridge’s toll rates by 25 cents in 2021 as planned to meet financial requirements, this 2022 rate reduction is made possible due to the Legislature’s new investment. No further toll rate changes are currently planned for the bridge.
For more information about the bridge toll rate reduction, visit the commission’s Tacoma Narrows Bridge rate reduction web page.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Information: Individuals requiring reasonable accommodations may request written materials in alternate formats, sign language interpreters, physical accessibility accommodations, or other reasonable accommodations by the Commission Office at 360-705-7070 or Transc@wstc.wa.gov. Persons who are deaf or hard of hearing may contact the event sponsor through the Washington Relay Service at 7-1-1.
Title VI Notice to Public
It is the Washington State Transportation Commission’s (WSTC) policy to assure that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, or national origin, as provided by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise discriminated against under any of its programs and activities. Any person who believes his/her Title VI protection has been violated, may file a complaint with WSDOT’s Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO). For additional information regarding Title VI complaint procedures and/or information regarding our non-discrimination obligations, please contact OEO’s Title VI Coordinator 360-705-7082.