The Commission has released its proposal for upcoming ferry fare changes. The fare proposal is based upon recommendations from Washington State Ferries (WSF) and the Ferry Advisory Committee on Tariff, and is designed to meet requirements set forth in the state Transportation Budget passed by the 2023 Legislature.
The budget requires $419 million to be generated from fares over the two-year budget timeframe (July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2025.) For context, see how much ferry fares (pdf 91kb) are contributing to ferry operational costs: fare revenues fund 57% of WSF’s ferry operations and the remaining 43% is funded from other statewide tax revenues. 100% of ferry capital costs (ferries and terminals) are funded from statewide tax revenues.
- 4.25% fare increase for passengers and vehicles, effective October 1, 2023
- 4.25% fare increase for passengers and vehicles, effective October 1, 2024
- Increase the multiride discount by 1% – effective October 1, 2023 and expires September 30, 2025
- Amends the current regulation for a ferry fuel surcharge, clarifying that a fuel surcharge can only be implemented after review and approval by the Commission.
Impact of Fare Changes by Route
To see how this proposal will impact more common fares by route, please review this Summary Fare Table (pdf 710kb)
To see the detailed changes proposed for all fares and routes, along with the changes to the ferry fuel surcharge rule, please refer to the complete fare regulation (pdf 370kb) which contains the actual amendatory language.
Supporting Information for Fare Change Proposal
- Washington State Ferries presentation (pdf 342kb)on their outreach and fare recommendation.
- Transportation Commission presentation (pdf 308kb)on Commission outreach and the Commission’s Ferry Subcommittee Fare Recommendation.
How to Provide Comments
Public comment will be gathered through July 30, 2023:
- Web comment form
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Testify at the final hearing on August 10th at 9 a.m. – See meeting agenda for details.
- FROG Survey on Proposal – Now closed.
Fare Setting Process
- May 15 – June 9: Public input gathered via online forum.
- May 23 – June 7: WSF/WSTC Public Meetings on service update and possible fare changes. Details on the meeting can be found here.
- June 21: Commission selects fare proposal at Friday Harbor Commission meeting, for further public comment.
- June 21 – July 30: Public comment period on fare proposal (will be posted on this page.)
- August 10: Commission holds final, in-person hearing to adopt fare changes.
- Agenda & Details on Virtual Participation.
- Time: 9:00 a.m.
- Location: Puget Sound Regional Council Board Room, 1011 Western Ave. Suite 500, Seattle WA.
- October 1: New fares take effect.