The Commission has begun its process for adjusting ferry fares for the 2021-2023 biennium. The process will take a few months, and begins with recommendations from Washington State Ferries (WSF.)
Fare recommendations are based upon the Transportation Budget passed by the 2021 Legislature. The budget requires $377 million to be generated from fares over the two-year timeframe, which results in a need for an additional $9.2 million in fare revenues. This equates to an estimated 2.5% fare increase if applied across-the-board to all fares.
Fare Increase Proposal
On June 15th, the Commission selected its 2021/23 ferry fare rate proposal based upon input from the public, Washington State Ferries, and the Ferry Advisory Committee on Tariffs (FAC-T.) The proposed ferry fare changes are as follows:
2.5% increase applied to all fares on October 2021 and 2022
- Raises passenger and vehicle fares 2.5% in October of each year.
- This approach spreads the fare increase equally between vehicles and walk on passengers.
The Commission is also proposing a policy change for how a vanpool is defined to ensure the policy matches current law. The proposal decreases the required number of people to be considered a vanpool from the current five people, to three people, adjusting the fares accordingly.
How to Provide Comments
The Commission is currently gathering public input on the fare change options being considered, as outlined above. If you would like to comment, you can do so by using the feedback form on this web site, or you can email your comments to email@example.com.
Fare Setting Schedule
- May 25/26: Commission online public input forum launches, and WSF online public meetings held to gather input on fare change options
- June 15: Commission selects fare proposal
- June 16 – July 30 2021: Public comment period on the Commission’s fare proposal (see above for how to submit comments)
- August 10, 2021: Commission holds adoption hearing on fare proposal – public testimony will be taken
- By August 30, 2021: Commission files final adopted fare changes
- October 1, 2021: Adopted fare changes go into effect