The Transportation Commission is responsible for naming transportation facilities including, but not limited to: State highways; state highway bridges, structures, and facilities; state rest areas; and state roadside facilities, such as viewpoints Naming and Renaming State Transportation Facilities RCW 47.01.420
Facility Naming Policies
Commission Facility Naming Policy (pdf 93 kb) on naming highways, bridges, and ferry terminals.
- The Commission has a Ferry Naming Policy and Process (pdf 98 kb) for naming ferries.
- If you have questions, take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions (pdf 133 kb) which provides answers to many commonly asked questions.
Review Historic information on prior ferry naming proposals:
2014 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 721
Naming the third Olympic Class 144-car ferry the "Chimacum"
- Resolution No. 720
Naming the "Don Senn Memorial Interchange" after former WSDOT North Central Region Administrator Don Senn.
- Resolution No. 719
Supporting Congressional Action to Reduce the Local Match Requirement for the Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport
- Resolution No. 718
Honoring Commissioner Philip Parker
2013 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 717 (pdf 107kb)
Naming the SR 124 overpass
- Resolution No. 716 (pdf 114kb)
Naming the new I-5 Skagit River Bridge
- Resolution No. 715 (pdf 98kb)
Naming I-5 the Purple Heart Trail
- Resolution No. 713 (pdf 77kb)
POW/MIA Memorial Highway
2012 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 704 (pdf 100
Naming the second 144-car ferry the "Samish"
- Resolution No. 703 (pdf 110
Naming the first 144-Car ferry the "Tokitae"
- Resolution No. 702 (pdf
Naming the Sanpoil Ferry
2011 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 701 (pdf 477 kb)
Naming the "Camano Gateway Bridge".
2010 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 700 (pdf 19 kb)
Naming the third addition to the Kwa-di Tabil class 64-car ferry, the "Kennewick."
- Resolution No. 699 (pdf 19 kb)
Naming the second addition to the Kwa-di Tabil class 64-car ferry, the "Salish."
- Resolution No. 698 (pdf 32 kb)
Renaming the " Keystone Terminal" the "Coupeville Ferry Terminal."
- Resolution No. 697 (pdf 587 kb)
Naming State Route number 110 the "Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm Memorial Highway."