The Transportation Commission is responsible for naming transportation facilities including, but not limited to: State highways; state highway bridges, structures, and facilities; state rest areas; and state roadside facilities, such as viewpoints Naming and Renaming State Transportation Facilities RCW 47.01.420
Facility Naming Policies
Commission Facility Naming Policy (pdf 120kb) on naming highways, bridges, and ferry terminals.
- The Commission has a Ferry Naming Policy and Process (pdf 98 kb) for naming ferries.
- If you have questions, take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions (pdf 133 kb) which provides answers to many commonly asked questions.
Review Historic information on prior ferry naming proposals:
2016 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 726 (pdf 63kb)
Naming the fourth Olympic Class 144-car ferry the "Suquamish"
- Resolution No. 725 (pdf 79kb)
Designating SR 16 between milepost 18 and milepost 28 the "WSP Trooper Tony Radulescu Memorial Highway."
2015 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 724 (pdf 86kb)
Designating SR 14 between Lyle and Murdock Washington the Deputy Michael J. McNabb Memorial Highway.
- Resolution No. 723 (pdf 51kb)
Honoring Commissioner Dan O'Neal for his years of service to the State of Washington.
- Resolution No. 722 (pdf 97kb)
Designating U.S. Highway 101 as the North Olympic Peninsula Medal of Honor Memorial Highway.
2014 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 721(pdf 86kb)
Naming the third Olympic Class 144-car ferry the "Chimacum"
- Resolution No. 720 (pdf 134kb)
Naming the "Don Senn Memorial Interchange" after former WSDOT North Central Region Administrator Don Senn.
- Resolution No. 719 (pdf 57kb)
Supporting Congressional Action to Reduce the Local Match Requirement for the Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport
- Resolution No. 718 (pdf 89kb)
Honoring Commissioner Philip Parker
2013 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 717 (pdf 107kb)
Naming the SR 124 overpass
- Resolution No. 716 (pdf 114kb)
Naming the new I-5 Skagit River Bridge
- Resolution No. 715 (pdf 98kb)
Naming I-5 the Purple Heart Trail
- Resolution No. 713 (pdf 77kb)
POW/MIA Memorial Highway
2012 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 704 (pdf 100
Naming the second 144-car ferry the "Samish"
- Resolution No. 703 (pdf 110
Naming the first 144-Car ferry the "Tokitae"
- Resolution No. 702 (pdf
Naming the Sanpoil Ferry
2011 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 701 (pdf 477 kb)
Naming the "Camano Gateway Bridge".
2010 Naming Decisions
- Resolution No. 700 (pdf 19 kb)
Naming the third addition to the Kwa-di Tabil class 64-car ferry, the "Kennewick."
- Resolution No. 699 (pdf 19 kb)
Naming the second addition to the Kwa-di Tabil class 64-car ferry, the "Salish."
- Resolution No. 698 (pdf 32 kb)
Renaming the " Keystone Terminal" the "Coupeville Ferry Terminal."
- Resolution No. 697 (pdf 587 kb)
Naming State Route number 110 the "Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm Memorial Highway."